Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Jottings continue

So much as happened since my last blog, so much one wonders where to start.... Or do we skip the rollercoaster of events in this journey , not that I want to miss them out.. just that is quite so much.
Let's just say there has been lots of dark, hard moments. Grief, loss and heartbreak both professional and personal.

Maybe it's an age thing but I think I am beginning to stress less about what others think.

I had teased for years that I should just open a dog walking business. One day I felt God say, just get on with it!

Where I once cared for people on the autistic spectrum in order to have money for ministry, I now walk dogs.

There were lots of reason why I gave up care, largely the changes in the care system that meant after 10 years of doing the job and doing all the in house training, I was then going to have to have to get an SQA. The large amount of work required and a family bereavement that took my breath away so much I felt like I could hardly function.....well I had to change.

So the business idea became a reality. People thought I was daft, you don't need more stuff in your life right now. Then came a chance for a loveable dog!

Animals are so therapeutic. I spend a fair proportion of my time with dogs. They make me laugh, they clam me down (mostly) they de-stress, they provide space.... I have time  with the dog or dogs to chat and pray.

So out went the care job and in came walking with dogs. Ministry continues.
It is a bit of a leap in the dark as I did not have much behind me to start it up but after a year and a half we are getting there.

So where is my thinking for ministry? Well one of the books I have been reading is about the Art of neighbouring. Coming with no agenda or no lets get you to this programme... just sharing life.

When I was grieving I was amazed at who rallied round and who demonstrated love. Of course you get an overwhelming amount of cards and flowers - I even had to buy more vases.... a lovely problem to have....

One moment that really impacted me were my friends the childminders. We had a roman as one moment where they encircled me so that my child's ex childminder and I could have a private moment in public.... so much so my hubby was out of the circle.

I knew my community - that is for sure.

You see relationships matter....

God created us to be relational people. I hope people know that relationships matter to me. That is why we will drive 1000 miles in a weekend to be at a family event. (Whenever we can)

You are obviously not going to have deep connections with everyone and sometimes your connections are for a season. Some last for a lifetime and it does not matter how long you are apart, you can pick up where you left off.

There is no doubt that I have had life changing events that have meant I have entered a new season of life. Family matters. I have seen people where ministry is so important that family is affected.

I am now balancing family commitments and ministry and a business to help support that ministry.... that takes some juggling..

But the journey continues....




No comments: