Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Obedience

Obedience is not something that we like to talk about. If we think of traditional marriage vows it was not uncommon to love, cherish and obey.
Today I even found myself talking about obeying when one of my children tried to negotiate extra time to play with friends.
Sometimes obedience means submission and that can also be a foreign concept to some.
Not many people like being told what they have to do. The concept of being servant hearted can be somewhat lost.
It can be easy to say that "I have a right" or this is not fair.
Obedience is sometimes committing to something, even when it does not make rational sense.
Moravians sold themselves into slavery for the sake of the Gospel.
Why would I give up 13 years of a professional salary to serve the community I love.
It would be so easy to have ignored the call that I felt in my Spirit and have a nice wage, a bigger house, foreign holidays and more.
As I browse job vacancies, you just know what seems right and what seems wrong. Its instinct, its in your spirit, DNA... it's the call of God in your life.

Why are you being kind to me?

What's the catch?

The concept of a sacrificial act with no underlying motive is also a foreign concept.

As Christians we are called to love. Not cast judgement. Not add conditions.
Not control. Just love.

Open handed. You might get rejected, you might get falsely accused, it most definitely won't be the smoothest path...

But are you willing to follow the rough path...

Are you willing to be battered in the the winds

Will your anchor hold in the storms of life?

Who do you put your trust in? Who is your rock and salvation?
Who never leaves you or forsakes you?

Are you willing to go against the tide, if asked?

Following a call of God in my life is an act of obedience. You take the rough with the smooth.

No comments: